It Sucks To Be Me

Just finished playing in the PokerStars Blogger Championship. 1473 of us started the tournament. With 191 of us left, I was doing fairly well, on the button with KK. Doofus across the table, who has been trying to put the entire table on tilt for an hour, calls me all in with QQ. Only two cards in the deck can save him. Figures, a queen hits the flop. Bye-bye, Gary.

I don't mind losing poker hands -- it's part of the game. But somehow, it's particularly galling to get outdrawn by the most obnoxious (and arguably worst) player at the table. And it seems that "obnoxious" and "worst" go hand-in-hand oh, so often.

It also chaps me when I'm raised all-in by a player who has a worse hand than I do, and he's the one who catches to beat me. It seems only fair that, if he's the one who's going to raise me all-in, that I should be the one to suck out on him. That would be fair. (And if pigs could fly ... well, I sure wouldn't want to be standing underneath 'em.)

Just found out the goob who drew out on me is under 21. That really sucks. It means I'm more than twice as old as he is.

And don't give me that poker-book crap about "In the long run, the better player always wins." Hey, lemme tell you something: NOBODY is around for the long run. The "long run" is millions of hands over millions of years, when the number of hands played gets so large that statistical anomalies (like, oh, getting sucked out on a two-outer by an obnoxious dweeb after he raises me all-in from behind, and don't think this is the first time this has happened to me, nosiree) get lost in the sheer magnitude of the totals.

Poker is the only game in which a terrible player, playing at his absolute worst and with the odds solidly against him, can beat a great player, playing at his absolute best -- CONSISTENTLY. Maybe not indefinitely, but consistently nonetheless. I'm not saying I'm the absolute best (far from it), but at some point, you have to realize that God is trying to send you a message: "Schmuck, put down the cards and walk away."

Poker sucks, and then you die. (But at least I'm done with the tourney early enough to watch the World Series. )

* * *

Remember that the Atlanta Braves beat the Houston Astros in Game 1 of the National League Division Series. The Astros won that series 3-1. Then the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Astros in Game 1 of the NL Championship Series. The Astros won that series, 4-2.

And mind you, the Anaheim Angels beat the Chicago White Sox in Game 1 of the American League Championship Series. The Sox then swept the Angels to take the series, 4-1.

My point? The Sox have won Game 1 of the World Series. My prediction: It's over. Astros are a mortal lock now, baby ...

Comments

Anonymous said…
sorry boss :(

all the best, and you were unlucky i hold my hands up.

my blog is www.easypokerguide.com/blogs/ben if you fancy a read.

sunday8pm

Popular posts from this blog

"Lost": Everything But Weight

BO-Zha-Lay Nue-VOE

Deal Or Big, Fat, Hairy Deal