Katrina, Welcome To Houston

For those of us who live on the Gulf Coast, this is no time to spin humorous yarns. The reality of what has happened to New Orleans -- only 350 miles away from here -- is beginning to sink in. That entire city is, someday, going to have to be rebuilt from the ground up.

And now that we know all of the refugees in the filthy, sweltering Superdome are coming to the Astrodome -- only THREE miles from where I live -- the reality of Hurricane Katrina has just moved into my backyard.

Now, under the circumstances I can't object to 25,000 homeless people moving into my neighborhood. But the Astrodome is literally only 200 feet from Reliant Stadium, where the Texans play. And football season is starting. That means we'll have 75,000 well-heeled football fans and 25,000 homeless Louisianans right next door to each other for eight Sundays this fall. What will that mean, exactly? It will be interesting to see how that develops.

And as the looters -- folks, they're criminals -- get evacuated from New Orleans, will they be coming to the Astrodome too? Now THAT, I'm not going to be very happy about.

I'm glad Houston can help out New Orleans in this time of crisis. But Hurricane Katrina just became intensely personal to me, and I don't yet know how I feel about it. I guess we'll find out in the next couple of weeks.

Comments

Jay Noel said…
When the criminals get to the Astrodome, they need to rename it...Thunderdome!

Popular posts from this blog

"Lost": Everything But Weight

BO-Zha-Lay Nue-VOE

Deal Or Big, Fat, Hairy Deal