Hurricane Blog #5

Ah Fame, thy quivering arrow is about to pierce my thorax ...

Tonight, this blog goes national. La Winchette pulled a couple of strings (or yanked a couple of chains, more likely) and as a result, I'm going to be on KABC Radio in Los Angeles tonight. I'll be on the "Ask Mr. KABC" show, featuring Mr. "Mr. KABC" KABC. For those of you in the Southland, it'll be the 9:00 PM hour, on 790 AM. For the rest of you, the live audio stream is here.

It figures that, 17 years after my last hurrah as a struggling broadcaster, I finally break into a major market. And it only took a natural disaster to make it happen. Life works in funny ways sometimes ...

(And Mr. K, I promise to lay off the sauce until the guest spot is finished.)

* * *

The generator is a no-go. It appears that this thing hasn't been used in 15 years, and the carburetor is clogged, the fuel line is brittle and breaking, and it's painted an ugly color. Fortunately, if the opportunity presents itself, I have a cigarette-lighter adapter for my laptop and a dial-up modem if the phone keeps working, so I may get to keep blogging for the duration of this thing.

Meanwhile, Rita continues to slip inexorably towards us, step by step, inch by inch. Isn't it nice to know that while I'll be sweltering in the misery of the worst storm to hit in years, you will still be able to read about my woes in the air-conditioned comfort of your own homes? (Assholes.)

The commute time is 16 hours to San Antonio (200 miles) and Dallas (250 miles), and 11 hours to Austin (160 miles). We have cast our lot with the strength of our house. And judging by some of the other crappy surprises we've found buried within the walls here, I wish I could be more optimistic. But we're all strapped in and waiting for this ride to start. Midday Friday, it will begin.

I'll see if I can get one more post done tonight, after my visit with Mr. KABC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Lost": Everything But Weight

BO-Zha-Lay Nue-VOE

Deal Or Big, Fat, Hairy Deal